Locating Unit Christmas Break Work

Over the Christmas holiday, I have focused on continuing to research my themes of sculpture and movement and curves. I have done this mainly using the internet, as being away from Univeristy means being away from the library, however I have re-discovered many old books at home which have been inspirational. These include Matisse, The Cut-Outs which particularly encouraged me to use scissors and paper cutting to create curved shapes. Another artist who I’ve been really inspired by is Aino-Maija Metsola, whose Weather Diary collection for Marimekko uses moody colours and gestural patterns which really appeal. She likes to work in watercolour, ink, markers and gouache, which are materials I also like to use for mark-making.

One of Aino-Maija Metsola's weather diary designs for Marimekko.

Having taken photos at the Yorkshire sculpture park of works by artists including Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth and Tom Cragg, I started to draw from my photographs. Initially I wanted to collect lots of visual imagery from sketching and mark making, so instead of just focusing on illustrative line drawings which is what I often do when I start a project, I tried to branch out and do more expressive mark making and paper cutting. I also experimented with cutting out curved shapes to use as stencils. I found this liberating and think it has been a good starting point for drawing research, but hope to take this further, by taking my drawing out of my sketchbook and onto larger sheets of paper. I find being in a sketchbook makes my work less lively as I tend to sit down whilst doing it, whereas I think using bigger sheets of paper may encourage me to stand up be more expressive.

Cut-out shapes used as stencils.

I decide to use sculpting tools for mark making to combine my theme with my drawings. This worked reasonably well, although I found that I stuck to a few tools, such as a metal smoothing tool and one with a serrated edge, as lots of the tools created similar types of marks. I also discovered using interesting materials such as bubblewrap and carpet underlay for printing. I was much more experimental than I have been with my drawing in the past, and I plan to expand on this throughout the locating unit by continually collecting interesting objects to draw with. As well as sculpting tools, I used kitchen utensils for mark making. I used cut out shapes and rafia as resists which as technique I often use because I like to explore the impact of negative spaces. 

Sculpting smoothing tool.
Kitchen utensils for mark making.
Another sculpting tool.
Carpet underlay.
Raffia resists.

Next, I’d like to move from mark making in 2D to creating 3D, raised structures, which I can then photograph and manipulate on Photoshop to make more interesting designs, playing with angles, light and relief. This will help with the Fashion, Form, Fabricate brief, as I will need to explore 3D structures when designing my collar.

I have started some basic modelling with air-drying clay, making some simple balls and cylinder shapes which I covered in paint and rolled over paper to make some interesting marks. I’ll continue to explore this using different types of clay and moulding materials.

Overall, I have really enjoyed this drawing and research process so far. I’ve found it good to be less concerned with drawing perfectly from my photographs and have particularly enjoyed making grounds to the cut up and make new shapes out of. Drawing with scissors, as Matisse did, is a process I find helps spur new ideas.

Clay shapes.


Ground done using sculpting tools and underlay.
Ground made using underlay.

Over the next week, my main aims are to start doing expressive, large-scale drawing, start putting together my research file and also start making some 3D drawings/constructions.


Comments

Popular Posts