Locating Unit: Peer Review Session

This week we had a two-tutor group peer review session. I really enjoy these, as it’s a great opportunity to see other people’s work in-depth and to practise being analytical and giving constructive feedback. I like going through work in small group as it allows you to share your thoughts and discuss how to articulate them in a way that will help the receiver of the comments develop their work. My favourite thing is getting the chance to have other people view your work without talking them through it, which means you get feedback which is on the whole objective and helps you to see it from a different perspective.

My main feedback was that I needed to consider where my colour scheme was coming from and refine it, so that was one of the first tasks I did after the review. It was very helpful, as I don’t think I’d have focused on that so soon if it hadn’t been pointed out in the review. I’ve found that prioritising my colour scheme has helped me think more clearly about the next stages of the project.

Another comment was that my 3d forms were a strong element of my body of work so far. With that in mind I will continue to construct sculptural 3D forms. I plan to continue using paper but also experiment with new materials like Perspex. I then want to photograph my structures to study light and shadows. I will then draw from these new shapes.

Comments about my FFF sketchbook included doing some more technical drawings, so I will add these and also study other types of collars which I can study and then adapt for my own collar design. Another comment was to personalise my FFF sketchbook more. I’m hoping this will come though when I start to draft designs and ideas for my collar, but will make a conscious effort to make this personal. Also, I will go back through my drawing so far and make them more consistent with my own shirt and collar-making.

In terms of design development, it was suggested that I try experimenting with composition. This is something I often struggle with – I will start drawing at one size, big or small, and then get kind of stuck at that scale. Therefore, I plan to vary the scale of my drawings to help define my compositions more. Also, refining my motifs was a key point – I have quite a lot of drawing so I will try not to do too many more different drawings and will instead focus on reimagining the motifs I already have.

For contextual research, I will now consider my research more closely. Rather than looking at lots of different sculpture artists, I will look at a few, such as Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth and Tara Donovan, who I have been heavily influenced by, and consider why they produced the sculptures they did, instead of just looking at them at face value.

I will also study some installation artists, as due to my experimentation with 3D forms, I feel that my design outcomes may end up being more bespoke and installation inspired. 

Comments

Popular Posts