Sampling Unit Evaluation

I didn’t anticipate the level of technical knowledge I would gain during Sampling, (for example with digital print) and this has been a really helpful aspect of the unit because I now have a more thorough understanding of print processes. This Unit has required me to develop my drawing skills, which I was nervous about to begin with, but by doing lots of motif drawing to start the project I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and I think this has been reflected in my final samples. Along with the Friday Drawing sessions my drawing ability is one of the things which has developed most significantly. I am now in the practise of drawing daily, and gravitate to my sketchbook first when brainstorming designs, rather than a digital format. I have found it satisfying to make my own screens and although it was challenging mixing my colours to accurately represent my initial colour mood, and many of my designs were too bright, overall I think my colour choices have been successful. It has been incorporating elements of digital design and techniques like mono printing and using reactive dyes which has elevated my designs. I enjoy creating flat designs which could be used for fabric or paper but my most successful samples are those which include elements like foil or flocking to add a textural effect or distort the light that falls on them. My Photoshop skills have improved massively in this unit. By learning the basics and doing lots of practise I now feel much more confident designing digital prints and my designs are more precise and appealing. One thing I found hard was planning what I wanted to do in the print room and as a result I feel I have done too many print samples with not enough focus. This has taught me to be more selective in the future, and focus on quality, not quantity. Planning my designs beforehand using thumbnails in my sketch book has helped me focus on producing a few carefully thought out and considered samples, rather than lots of rushed ones. 

One of my pieces from Friday Drawing, showing my colour, composition and drawing development

A print sample which uses grey pigment dye and foiling to create a shadow effect 

One of my digital spot repeat designs, focusing on my colour mood


Comments

Popular Posts