Project 2 Week 7 and iDott Week 1


This week I have been continuing working on my self-initiated project, as well as starting properly my final live brief, Geo-Drawing for iDott.

Over Christmas I spent time mostly working on my CP3 essay and starting my sketchbook for the Geo-Drawing brief. I also worked on paintings inspired by my self-initiated sketchbook.

During the week I have worked on finishing my fabric samples for my self-initiated project. I have embellished onto my sublimation printed designs with embroidery and laser-cut Perspex pieces to add texture and interest. I really like the way these have worked due to their tactile qualities. I prefer to work in a three-dimensional way, and I haven’t tried working with fabric like this before.



Embellished sublimation printed designs.

For my final samples for this project, I am going to focus on wallpaper, which I will flock, stitch and glue Perspex and perhaps wooden pieces onto. Although I will not be developing the fabric samples into a final collection, they will inform my wallpaper samples and future projects.

As well as this, I have been developing my postcard drawings inspired by samples and sketchbook work to make into repeats to paper print for wallpaper samples. I found it really tricky to work out how to do this, but through trial and error managed to use the cut-through method to do it.

Once I worked out how to do the repeat, I made my designs into screens so that next week I can begin printing the final collection of wallpaper samples. I had to work out the best way to do it, as the size of the samples will be 52 x 52 cm, which is bigger than A2 and therefore can’t be printed on the university printers. I have made the screen half the size of the sample so I can simply do it in two halves.

One of my screen print wallpaper designs.

I have also spent this week on doing large-scale drawings for Geo-Drawing. I had begun this project working in a sketchbook, and found it too big, so started again in a smaller one. However, after my tutorial on Monday, I moved out of the sketchbooks altogether and onto A2 paper, which has allowed me to be much more expressive with my drawing and collage. Although I am not quite happy with the large-scale drawings I have done so far, I have preferred working large scale and have found that it’s made me less anxious about drawing things that look ‘good’.



Some of my larger-scale drawings.

I also made my mood-board for Geo-drawing and colour palette, which has helped focus my ideas for the project; I want to focus mainly on line and composition, making large-scale drawings which I will then make into repeat by hand and scan in to submit.

Geo-drawing mood-board.

Next week I will continue to screen print my wallpaper samples, do more large-scale drawing for iDott, make a publication of my samples for my self-initiated project and also create a publication of my proposal for the Bruntwood project to hand in for the deadline. I will also need to get Perspex and wood pieces laser cut to embellish my wallpaper.

Comments

Popular Posts