Bruntwood Project, Week 2

This week I focused mainly on Bruntwood, leaving Project 2: Colour and Combinations to the side for a week or so. This was due to the fact that the pitches for the Bruntwood brief are on the 6th December, so I wanted to make sure I had as much time as possible to work through my ideas.

Experimenting with hanging the shapes in paper.


After working mainly in my sketchbook the previous week, I continued to work with paper but pushed this larger scale. Working in cardboard and paper I created bigger shapes of windows and tree branches which I could then attach and visualise as hanging installations. These worked reasonably well, to see how the idea would work, but I found it hard to develop as I hadn’t worked out a proper scale and was simply going bigger. I realised towards the end of the week that to do this effectively, I needed to measure out the size of the window in Uni, so I could then work out the size the pieces needed to be, and how much material I would need so I could cost it effectively. This proved difficult, as I have never had experience of working to a specific brief before. Once I had measured out the space, I decided to divide it into squares, to make costing easier, and then made more shapes out of paper at this scale. I chose to make a strip of alternating branch and window shapes. However, when I hung them up, I felt they looked too regimented, and needed to be more organic. This was tricky to address, as I wanted to keep within the framework I had devised to make the budgeting process easier, but I knew artistically that I needed to allow the shapes to flow more. I will continue to work on this over the next week in anticipation of the pitch.



Sketchbook pages.

Measuring the space.

Also this week I had some of the shapes drawn from my primary visual research laser cut. These were again, the tree and window shapes. I had them cut small scale, just as maquettes for the real thing, and to make dyeing the Perspex easier, but I feel this was a mistake. When strung together they look more like decorations than an installation for a corporate setting. However, they have been useful in showing how I need to develop my ideas further. For example, when hanging them and photographing them in a window space, I realised they looked good when the shapes overlapped giving varying colour and shape effects. This I plan to emulate on a larger scale by having fewer shapes laser cut but layering them up when they are hung. My original idea was to have the shapes connected like chainmail, but I think they might look more natural if allowed to move and flow together. I also feel the Perspex shapes work better than the wooden ones, because they interact more with the light and each other. I plan to resolve this by having fewer wooden shapes by making them more twig-like and less blocky.


Laser cutting wood and perspex.

When dyeing the Perspex, the orange shade came out far too dark so this week I will continue to experiment dyeing the Perspex to get more of a warm yellow glow than a dense orange. When dyeing the perspex, I used dysperse dye and dyed for approximately 45 minutes. I may also try painting the wooden shapes, as I feel the flatness of the mdf also detracts from the organic feel of the pieces. I photographed the pieces in a window to see what they might look like in situ and on a larger scale, and despite the colour and size of the pieces I feel like the photos show how the shapes could look larger and layered up.

Dyeing the perspex.




In terms of fixing the installation into the space, I imagine them being hung from hooks in the ceiling, and envisage the shapes being connected to one-another either with monofilament to looks as though they are suspended in the air, or with metal rings to emulate the surrounding industrial feel.


The space and hangings.


Comments

Popular Posts