Unit X Personal Research Development


                   
                        My Initial visual inspiartion from looking at the Radcliffe Red List of Endangered Crafts.


     
     Our finalised group moodboard incorporating architectural references, especially tiles and intricate geometric details.

Our group colour palette.










I began researching by creating a shortlist of the endangered crafts I was interested in exploring further. These included wallpaper making, paper making and swill basket making.








I finally settled on marbling as the endagered craft I wanted to pursue further. I was fascinated by how such amazing repeated designs could be created using such basic materials. I was also interested in the history of marbling and how it has been used for bookbinding for centuries. It is believed to have originated in central Asia and come across to the west since the 15th century. I wanted to attempt my own marbled papers and also try marbling onto materials like wood.

After completing my own initial research, including taking photographs of architecture from around Manchester, I shared it with the rest of the group through workshops, showing them the techniques I had learned for marbling, and how I had explored this through drawing and paper cutting.

Comments

Popular Posts