Unit x weeks 8-10 (Easter break)


For this project I have decided to create two complimentary but distinct collections, one of which stems from my research into Markets and Fruit and Veg and is very abstract, the other more commercial and inspired by florals.

Ove the Easter holidays, I made the most of the equipment available to me outside uni, and made up the table runners for my Market collection, along with samples for napkins and placemats. To back the table runners, I used a mid-weight cotton, which I dyed. For one of the runners, I dyed the fabric green using direct dye in the dye baths in uni, and for the other I naturally dyed it using turmeric. Of the two, I think the direct dye produced a more even and overall deeper colour. However, I quite like the slightly patchy effect of the turmeric, as it gives a distinctly hand-made feel to the piece. If I were making these runners to sell, I think I would have to go for the direct dye as my method of dying, as it gives a more consistent colour, but the natural dying emphasises the one-off nature of the product, which I want to come through with this collection. Therefore doing it both ways shows the potential of both methods.
                                               
                                               



Turmeric dyed fabric drying.
 

Backing the table runners.
 
Along with the runners, I made examples of a napkin and placemat. At first I planned for them both to be napkins, however I realised that the fabric I had used was slightly too think to really be used for napkins, and thus hemmed one of the samples by double folding the edges, and the other I back using some of the dyed green cotton. I will continue to develop these samples by trying them in thinner materials and perhaps by digitally printing some designs.
 


Finished runners, napkin and placemat.
 
As well as this I have continued to work on visualisations of my designs on tableware. To take this further I will be taking photos of my own crockery and using them to make visualisations which I then plan to make into a publication along with styling photos of the table runners.

Photographing and visualising my table linen.
 
long with the table runners, I began work on the floral collection within this project. In order to connect both collections, I chose to work from floral imagery by collaging, as I did with my research from the markets. I particularly enjoy this method, as I like artwork that is tactile and almost three-dimensional. To create some of the shapes and painterly effects in my collage, I used a gelli plate to create stencilled designs, which worked with layers of paint and paper. I loved this way of working as it is very quick to cut out shapes and create a print, which can then be cut up and used with other prints to create layered designs. When looking at the collages made with the gelli printed paper alongside the plain coloured paper, they can seem somewhat overworked, however I think by being considerate with the composition and combining the two types of paper the collages can become really dynamic.


Floral imagery and inspiration.




Gelli printing.
 
ollowing this, I scanned in the collages and began to make digital designs to be screen printed on top of and digitally printed. I found this process quite challenging, as I am more accustomed to making digital designs with geometric shapes rather than organic ones, however I am relatively please with the outcomes and have had two lengths digitally printed to make into table runners, complimentary to the market/abstract ones.

Following my tutorial in the first week back, I have been planning what I’m going to make for assessment and the degree show. For the degree show I aim to make tow one-off screen printed pieces, which I will have stretched on frames and hung on a board. These will be flocked and embellished with Perspex. This week I have been experimenting with transfer printing onto Perspex. This works well, however I need to work out what the optimum time for keeping the Perspex under the heat for it, to get maximum colour transfer and minimal warping of the plastic from the heat.
Transfer printing onto Perspex.
 
Next week I will be mostly in the print room, making my screen prints for the degree show, as well as testing out different fabrics such as sheer cottons and synthetics for the table linen collections. Additionally, I will be making a repeat screen for one of my floral runners to flock onto it and dying and backing my floral runners.

Comments

Popular Posts