Unit X Research

My research for unit X so far has taken a number of forms. Our group theme is Artificial Intelligence, and I have been particularly interested in exploring links between technology and humans, and the way they interact. I was initially inspired by an article by Professor Stephen Hawking (https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/oct/19/stephen-hawking-ai-best-or-worst-thing-for-humanity-cambridge) about the danger of Robots taking over Human jobs, apart from those which involve supervision, care-giving or creativity, so have read many articles in magazines, newspapers and online to gain a deeper appreciation of the threat to life as we know it from the increasingly sophisticated forms of artificial intelligence. I have also been listening to a series on the BBC’s Inside Science podcast about the rise of robots (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04vnmnl), a really interesting insight into the ways in which humans and robots have been linked throughout history.

 As well as this, a number of museum visits and photography trips around Manchester have provided important foundations for my drawing work. Particularly beneficial was a group visit to the Museum of Science and Industry which made me think about machines and technology in a more basic sense, simply as tools to make human work more efficient. This allowed me to develop some motifs for making screens based around the shapes seen in industrial looms and molecular, geometric shapes from an exhibition about graphene. Around the city I looked for instances where technology aids human life without us realising in order to keep us safe, improve transport and provide information, which made me pay attention to my surroundings much more than normal and understand the impact of technology on modern life.

Early computer technology at the MOSI - Lots of motif inspiration.

Yarn on a loom at the MOSI.

Technology in the City centre.

I have found working in a group great, as I can often be quite introspective, so having a group to meet with regularly and dissect work and ideas with has encouraged me to work harder and be more critical.  
The key aspects that we want to highlight are how far technology can help humans, how far it can be detrimental or threatening, and how technology has been a part of human life throughout history. One of the most surprising things we discovered from the start of the project was just how much we rely on technology in daily life, and how so much of life is now entangled with technology. This has been problematic in some ways, as it means there are so many potential avenues of investigation that we have had to try and be really selective, and not get too bogged down with ideas.

Processes we have explored so far are print, embroidery and weave. I have looked at the work of print designer Barbara Brown, whose striking screen prints show brutalist, machine-age patterns. I hope to reference some of her style in my own screen print designs by focusing on bold motifs inspired by the buildings and technology present in the urban environment. 

Designs by Barbara Brown, including 'Automation' (centre) at the Whitworth.

As a group we intend to explore laser cutting and 3D printing as obvious examples of sophisticated technology to use in our work and highlight the fantastic design opportunities offered by technology. As well as this, we have discussed the use of sewing machines as merely extensions of the hand, and whether these improve on handmade work or simply make it more efficient. This links to our wider investigation of how far technology benefits or hinders creativity.

Print Sample using foiling to give a metallic effect.

A key interest of mine has been looking at links, which was inspired from collecting cables and wires. Initially just a materials gathering exercise, looking at the tangled and complicated shapes created by a collection of cables triggered ideas about the entangled relationships between humans and technology.

Taking lots of photos from around the city has strongly influenced my practise, as it has forced me to stop, and be more observant of things around me. I have noticed shapes and symbols which I hadn’t previously, and which have inspired more focus on line and shape in my motif design work. I have developed bold motifs with attention to line and geometry as well as more detailed images and I have tried to combine the two to highlight the tension between traditional and technological practises. Additionally, exploring the city has impacted my use of colour, as what I would have previously categorised as a drab, urban environment, I have noticed actually has many interesting bursts of colour and vibrancy.

Comments

Popular Posts