Project 2 week 10 and i-Dott week 4


I spent the final week of the practice unit tying up everything for each project, including my research and development files, finishing sampling and final designs, mounting, evaluating and generally preparing for the hand-in.

At the start of the week, I mainly focused on laser cutting and dyeing final Perspex and wood pieces to go on the wallpaper designs for my self-initiated brief. These took quite a long time to attach, due to the size of the paper and the random nature of the embellishment. I am really happy with the outcomes. Despite the fact that some of the technical aspects of the designs, such as the repeats didn’t quite work right. I think they convey the idea of ‘bespoke wallpaper’ well and have a really joyful effect which reflects my primary research of tiles from Lisbon.
 


 
 
embellished wallpaper sample.
 
This week I also completed my final collection of wallpaper designs for the i-Dott Geo-Drawing brief, a series of repeat designs for a children’s bedroom context, using motifs scanned in from my paper cut, large-scale drawings. These have worked well as they have been created digitally, but still retain a handmade quality (part of the i-Dott criteria) as you can see the paint strokes and uneven lines from the hand drawn motifs.



Some of my final designs for I-Dott.

Additionally this week I made visualisations and concept, context and material and process boards for each project, to highlight the intended outcomes for each body of work and how I got from initial ideas to final outcomes. The boards are a concise way of showing the journey and summing up the mood of each project.

Geo-Drawing concept board.

As usual, the end of the week was spent mounting all my work, making sure I had everything ready for hand-in and completing self-assessment sheets, project outlines and my presentation.
mounting work for assessment.
 
With the unit now complete, I feel satisfied with my work, but full of ideas of how to continue thing in the next unit. I feel that I will end each project here, but take forward ideas from each one, for example, having made embellished wallpaper, I now know that I want to continue to use lots of embellishment in my work to create textural pieces. I feel that the body of work is diverse and represents a variety of techniques and approaches, from fabric to paper, but is overly skewed towards paper. I would like to try stationery in the next unit, to still do paper design, but with a context other than wallpaper. I also plan to do more embroidery and screen-printing on fabric. Having done wallpaper design, I plan to do more large scale work in anticipation of the degree show.

 

Comments

Popular Posts