Unit X - Lines of Enquiry

My group has really successfully developed a consistent colour theme throughout the project thanks to thorough research and mood board development. This has meant all our samples have a consistent look and link together well. Additionally, a strong graphic theme has been evident in drawing development, something we have all picked up on and decided to emphasise in our individual samples. Collaborating has taught me not to be protective of samples and to allow other people to develop them without my influence. Letting one of my samples be cut up to incorporate into a weave was hard at first but led to a really interesting sample which I couldn’t have achieved on my own, and so learning to take risks has been extremely beneficial to me and quite liberating. This has made me more conscious of other people’s input when doing screen printing – I’ve been fairly restrained with my designs to allow for other members of my group to add their own techniques to them. My aims following the research stage are to continue to focus on links between humans and technology and to do this by focusing on hands. I want to draw graphic, technological motifs to combine with the contours of human hands.

A woven Sample incorporating pieces of my print designs, foiling and wire.

The key developments of this project have been through my own drawing and by collating the whole group’s work on mood boards every couple of weeks so that there has been a clear vision for each stage of the project. Taking lots of photographs and following this with  drawing has helped me consider the human elements of creativity and how we can create endless designs from just a few photographs. Developing this line of enquiry by scanning in drawings and manipulating them on Photoshop has made me think about just how important technology is in design, both in terms of opening up new ideas, and by being quick and efficient to use. Technology has also meant it is possible to create visualisations so I can see how my designs might be applied in a real-life setting, which links to how technology can aid human creativity – a key focus of the project.

Visualisation of one of my early digital designs.

I really enjoy collaborating because I think it encourages me to be more daring and not just create designs I like, but to consider other people’s preferences. Collaborating has also made me think more about the surfaces I print my designs onto. Rather than sticking to neutral, flat fabrics, I was surprised to discover the variety of ways print can be applied to unusual grounds. For example, foiling onto woven samples produced a really satisfying effect which helped inspire further drawing development ideas. I have ventured out of the print room and used embroidery to add texture to print surfaces and hope to continue to do this in future projects. I would really love to start incorporating knitting into my print work, to add a three-dimensional, construct element.

Printing onto Sandpaper - experimenting with unusual grounds.

Digital print has featured heavily in my work so far. I have started in the print room and then scanned in fabric samples to create repeat patterns on photoshop. I intend to continue with this line of development to try and highlight the combination of traditional, human powered processes and digital processes. This relates to the broader area of my practise as, after having been initially cautious, I am very excited by the possibilities of digital print. However, I have always loved the method of screen printing so want to be able to continue utilising both. This has made me consider the application of my work as wallpaper, which can be easily produced using both digital and screen printing.

Digital print created using motifs from foiled sample.

Additional research now needed to support my learning includes a more in-depth look into wallpaper production and its application. I also need to further my research into robots and hands, looking at prosthetics and artificially intelligent robots.

To complete the project, I will need to draw out thumbnails of the screen-printed designs I intend to produce so that I can decide how I will develop them. I also need to continue drawing and do research into the shape of robotic hands so that I can translate them into motifs, perhaps by becoming more abstract and abandoning traditional outlines.

Comments

Popular Posts